Search engine optimization (SEO) is vital if you want your website to be found by your target audience. Unless your current WordPress theme includes excellent built-in SEO functionality, you really should be using a dedicated plugin. Even then, a plugin is often the better choice as it ensures your SEO data and settings are kept separate from your theme, making it easier to transition to a new design in the future.
However, with so many options available, which is the best WordPress SEO plugin? That’s what we’ll be exploring today and by the end of this article, you’ll have all the information to help you choose the best plugin for your WordPress website.
Best SEO Plugins for WordPress
These tools are all free or freemium plugins that you can try for yourself today. However, as search engine optimization is an ongoing process, you’re unlikely to notice any immediate results from installing one of these plugins on your site.
What the best SEO plugins will do, though, is ensure your website is as search engine friendly as possible, while the quality of your content, backlink profile, and overall domain authority, will dictate where your website is ranked in the search engine results pages.
So to help you ensure your website stands a good chance of being found in the search engines, here are the best SEO plugins for WordPress.
As arguably the most popular plugin of its type with over 3 million active installs and a user rating of 4.8 stars out of 5, Yoast SEO deserves to come first in our collection of the best SEO plugins. With the free Yoast SEO plugin active on your WordPress website, you’ll get real-time feedback on how well optimized each piece of content on your site is. Yoast SEO also does a whole lot more to ensure your entire website is as search engine friendly as possible.
Key features of the Yoast SEO plugin:
- Page analysis feature checks keyword density, word count, readability, and much more in real time.
- Live preview of how your website will look in the search engine results pages.
- Ability to automatically create XML sitemaps and notify Google and Bing of their existence.
- Facebook Open Graph support for better results from social media marketing.
- Supports easy migration from other WordPress SEO plugins.
- Premium upgrade and add-ons that offer even more features and one-on-one email support.
With regular updates, a helpful blog that publishes useful SEO advice, and a great reputation you can’t really go wrong with Yoast SEO. However, there are plenty of other impressive options out there so keep reading to find the best WordPress SEO plugin for your needs.
All in One SEO Pack
When it comes to the most popular SEO plugins for WordPress, All in One SEO Pack is up there with Yoast SEO. Thanks to also being actively installed on over 3 million websites and having an average rating of 4.5 stars out of 5. Like the other best SEO plugins, this free option adds a set of extra fields to the WordPress post and page editor to help you optimize your content for search engines. As you’d expect, it also takes care of site-wide SEO too.
Key features of the All in One SEO Pack plugin:
- Automatically generates search engine friendly titles for your content.
- WooCommerce support out of the box for optimizing ecommerce stores.
- Automatic generation of XML sitemaps with Google and Bing notifications.
- Ability to integrate your WordPress site with Google Analytics.
- Advanced settings and configuration options.
- Premium upgrades that unlock advanced features such as video SEO support.
There’s really not much to separate All in One SEO Pack from Yoast SEO. Both are good tools and it will probably come down to personal preference over which one you choose. I use Yoast SEO for my sites, but your needs may make one of the follow plugins a better option.Try All in One SEO Pack for free
SEO Squirrly might not be as well used as some of the other plugins in this collection, with only 30,000+ active installs so far. However, it’s apparently used by some big names in the online marketing world and has a solid 4.7 stars out of 5 user rating making it a worthy addition to this article.
Although packed with features, the main standout aspects of SEO Squirrly is its keyword research tool. Therefore, if you’d like to know how competitive the keywords you’re trying to rank for are, this plugin could be a good choice.
Key features of the SEO Squirrly plugin:
- Site audit tool to evaluate how search engine friendly your site is and what to do next.
- Built-in rank checker to monitor where your content is listed in the search engines.
- Real time SEO advice is displayed as you type.
- Works well with other popular WordPress SEO plugins.
- Live content ratings and checklists to help you create content that is both search engine and human-friendly.
- Premium version includes an image finding tool, alerts, and other features.
Although in general, the most popular SEO plugins for WordPress are pretty easy to use, SEO Squirrly has been designed for non-SEO experts and anyone looking for a fool proof way to optimize their websites for search engines.Try SEO Squirrly for free
SEO Ultimate is another freemium tool to help you optimize your WordPress website for search engines like Google and Bing. A respectable 4.1 stars out of 5 user rating gives a good indication that this SEO plugin is worth considering for your WordPress website.
One of the highlights of SEO Ultimate is the internal linking tool. Simply enter a selection of keywords, then when they appear in your articles, they’ll automatically be turned into links to others pages on your site. You can adjust the frequency to ensure you’re not overdoing it when trying to improve on-site SEO.
Key features of the SEO Ultimate plugin:
- Bulk title tag editor for posts, pages, and media files.
- File editor for carrying out quick and easy robots.txt and .htaccess customizations.
- Code inserter interface for adding custom code to headers and footers.
- Module based system that gives you control over which features to enable.
- Open Graph tool for improved social media visibility.
- Premium features can be unlocked by purchasing SEO Ultimate+.
SEO Ultimate is packed with features and should appeal to website owners looking for a plugin they can easily customize.Try SEO Ultimate for free
WP Meta SEO
Another freemium WordPress SEO plugin, WP Meta SEO features a user-friendly interface that makes it easy to see how your website and its content can be made even more search engine optimized. The WP Meta SEO dashboard is a nice feature that gives the various aspects of your website overall scores to help you decide where to focus your optimization efforts.
Key features of the WP Meta SEO plugin:
- Ability to edit the titles and descriptions for multiple items through a single screen.
- Each piece of content on your site is given an overall SEO score.
- Automatic generation of custom XML sitemaps.
- 404 page not found error checker and redirection tool.
- Enables easy Google Analytics integration for tracking user activity on your site.
- Premium add-on available that unlocks even more features.
WP Meta SEO was recently updated with the release of the latest version so if you’ve checked this plugin out in the past, it might be worth another look. If you want to know more about this plugin you can check this WP Meta SEO review.Try WP Meta SEO for free
The SEO Framework
SEO Framework has been awarded an impressive 4.9-star rating out of 5 from its users so it’s definitely a plugin that’s worth investigating. Aimed at beginners, the pre-configured settings will help you add an SEO plugin to your WordPress website without having to become a search engine expert first.
Key features of The SEO Framework plugin:
- Works with custom post types, including WooCommerce products and bbPress content.
- An unbranded user interface that should appeal to developers.
- Configurable XML sitemap generator with search engine notification tool.
- Open Graph support for Twitter and Facebook optimization.
- Selection of free and commercial extensions add more SEO functionality to your site.
- Premium extensions available that unlocks more features.
The SEO Framework plugin has some interesting functionality, including integration with WooCommerce but doesn’t compare to options like Yoast SEO or All in One SEO Pack in terms of features.Try SEO Framework for free
SEO Data Transporter
If this article has persuaded you to switch search engine optimization plugins, the SEO Data Transporter extension powered by StudioPress will help you manage the transition. Whether you want to migrate your SEO data from a plugin like Yoast SEO, or a WordPress theme such as Genesis, to a new solution, this free tool could help.Try SEO Data Transporter for free
As you can see, there are some excellent SEO plugins available for WordPress. When it comes to making a recommendation, it’s hard to ignore Yoast SEO or All in One SEO Pack. Both options have impressive feature lists, are easy to use, and can be upgraded to unlock even more functionality.
Unless you have requirements not covered by Yoast SEO or All in One SEO Pack, then choosing one of them is probably your best option. Personally, I use Yoast SEO on my sites, but you might prefer All in One SEO Pack – either way, if configured properly, your site’s most important SEO needs will be taken care of.
However, if you want to try something new, SEO Squirrly has an interesting set of features that could help improve the visibility of your website in the search engines.
Which SEO Plugin will you choose? Please let us know in the comments below.